If you recognize 3 out of the 9 bullets your organisation might have a strategy but nobody is paying attention, it is not understood in the organisation. Building understanding (or the Dutch word Begrip) is our key concern.
- Too many thinks have the same high priority
- There is no difference in Important and Urgent
- Referring to suppliers as partners, but still have contracts with more penalties and no profit sharing at all, building through Win – Win
- Knowing which competence or skills are crucial for the next 10 years
- If making profit is the only thing, skip strategy implementation
- Not being really aware of the vision of the company
- Management experience strategy days, as a day off, being out of daily routine
- There is lack of question and answer interaction, or it is “not done” to ask questions about the strategy
- The projects in the organisation are not categorized in Operational Effectiveness and Strategy Related.
- There are too many Key Performance Indicators or a few that has no meaning for the staff in the organisation.
If your organisation has a steady Strategy Process, but it too slow or too high level, you will recognize the following signals:
- We are still working on a project of our previous strategy
- Staff is saying, we are too late, competitors are running ahead
- “Us” and “them” talking, were them are the senior managers
- Most of your customers are not early adopters
- Your sales process has more farmers and less hunters
- People are not really proud of what the organisation is standing for
- People keep on doing there thing and ignore to move to the actions related to the new strategy
- Staff member feel excluded or not recognized when managers think about the strategy